Sunday, November 22, 2009

Sunday Night Dinner




A few of us met at Park Road Books today to meet Matt and Ted Lee, authors of Simple Fresh Southern and The Lee bros Southern Cookbook. They were signing books for their latest book. We also had ulterior motives to talk them into coming to our next food night at Molly's house. They agreed to as long as we served strong cocktails somewhere around 5 ish. We promised to drive them to and from their talk at Queen's College and make mean, homemade cocktails with a few of our favorite appetizers. Designated drivers please volunteer!
Inspired by the presence of other cooks/kooks, I asked for a Sunday night meal. Haley quickly told us her menu of Chicken Wing salad and potato/Leek soup. Matt had a bloody venison tenderloin thawing and dripping in my fridge....so I thought, the soup sounded great to go with... I took the verbal recipe and ran to the HT with no quantities or brain.

Haley emailed me a list of quantities and I told her I could wing the rest. right!?!

She needs to post the exact recipe...but this is what I did and how it looked.
3 leeks
1 large carrot
1 zucchini
1 large celery stalk
4 medium yukon gold potatoes
8 cups chick stock
4 T half and half
a squeeze of a lemon.

I thought the skin on the potatoes looked thin enough and I didn't even contemplate skinning the zucchini. Haley told me told me to use an immersion blender. I didn't have one so after sauteing veggies, adding stock and potatoes...cooking. Feeling lazy and not wanting to transfer a vat of hot soup in stages into my Cuisinart, I reached for my handheld blender(which I have used twice) and proceeded to stick the blender in the soup. Kitchen, dogs, my hair, every crevice near the stove was blasted with potato leek soup.


1 comment:

  1. I love it.....my hubby is pouting that I have been here typing for hours on this blog.....he keeps asking "What is this for, exactly???" Love your glamo shot in your pretty apron!!!!! I am obsessed with blogging now! I better go make peace with my husband.

    ReplyDelete