Monday, November 23, 2009

Sara Wade's Ham Bisquits


I picked up 10 dozen biscuits for Billy's 2nd grade play party from Sara Wade today. With my newly acquired blog skills, I thought I would take a picture of her and post it with her phone number. She flatly refused. She said, "I only do this for family and friends, now who are you? Tell them you made them yourself." I quickly fled the scene and threw out a few names of people that I thought had given me her number. I got my courage up and called her to tell her I couldn't tell my friends that I made them unless I knew how to do it.





So here it is:
Marshall's brand biscuits(at HT in the freezer section)
French's mustard
plenty of salted butter
Smithfield Country Ham sliced very very thin.

She said that she picks them up at the HT the day before she needs them. They thaw in the car ride home. She slices them. A thin spread of french's mustard on one side and thin(look at the picture, its not that thin) slice of butter( I would call that a pat of butter) on the other side. About three very thin slices of country ham(Fresh Market) the size of the biscuits. Pack them back in the tin trays and store in fridge until needed(no more than a day). Cook for 10 to 15 minutes in a 400 degree oven. She said that her sister-in-law("who is not a very good cook") will freeze them assembled and cook them just the same when she needs them on a moments notice.
This is the kind of ham biscuit eastern North Caroleneans grew up eating. My dad turns his nose up at the ones on a parker house roll with cheese, sweet mustard and onion spread. She is the only person I know besides my grandmother, who knows how to do it this way. Enjoy and plan on going to hot yoga the next day if you eat more than two of them. My feet are swelling now since I had to bake and eat three for lunch.
Ladies, I promise I will loose interest in this blog thing but it will be BB heavy if someone doesn't waste time on it like I am doing. I am glad none of my clients are members..they would all know why I was ignoring their phone calls.
xo bb

3 comments:

  1. too much.....I love smithfield and butter on a biscuit. I do love mustard, but not sure about that call on my ham biscuit!!!! Can't wait for Christmas Ham Biscuits. I will post tonights dinner BB, so don't worry, you won't be blogging alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS.....is anyone else reading these posts but us???? Speak up foodies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I am reading and am thrilled to have some new recipes to try! I have some pictures that I need to figure out how to download in some of the earlier posts. I haven't cooked much in days, but will post when I do, but only if it's a culinary triumph (as my dad says). We're having leftovers tonight from when Mark made his pasta sauce yesterday - no recipe, it changes every time he makes it. I love our blog!!!

    ReplyDelete